Monday, August 23, 2010

3 Days of laughter, tears, pain, and a huge accomlishment of my life.

My new best friends - the Medical Team. They tended to my blisters (along with half of of the walkers - they are my angels)
Here I am at Southdale as we were getting ready to begin our big venture.
I was nervous and really had no idea how my feet would hold up. As I was training I developed Capsulitis of the 2nd toe and my feet were quite painful at times. I really hoped they would hold up.

One last hug from the love of my life!

Carrie at Opening Ceremonies.

By lunchtime on Friday we had made our way to downtown Minneapolis.
We were still all smiles and were doing great!
Our team was the "Yes we Cans". We had so much fun together. We all supported each other and giggled ourselves silly. It was a really fun group to be a part of.

Falls girls! It was so fun to spend a whole weekend with my best friends and sister. Had it not been for them I think I would have been super homesick.

Finishing up Day one on Summit Avenue near Macalaster College.
We are sitting on Jody's couch, a Twin Cities 3 Day icon. A man who lost his wife to breast cancer carries their couch (where she spend most of her last days) all over the 3 Day route for walkers to rest on. It is a very powerful reminder and has become an icon of the 3 Day walk in Twin Cities.

Lake Harriett day 1

Back on the trail after visiting with our cheerers!

I'm a mess after day 1 - OUCH
I had no idea that I would get blisters so bad.

Mary, Christine and Sophia came to cheer me on Sunday morning. Christine brought me a cold Snickers bar - YUM.

We always knew where to find my Dad because he carried this ginormous flag pole with the Finnish and Norwegian flags. He attracted LOTS of attention, of course.

Leah came out to cheer us on.

Mom, Carol, Dad and Corey at Lake Harriett

Laughing hysterically at one of our nightly "Tent Parties" in Sara and Karyn's tent. We were quite goofy and delusional by the end of each evening and giggled ourselves to sleep.

After walking 20 miles each day people even had energy to DANCE.

Britta getting a foot massage and me getting a back massage.
Ahhhhhhh

Britta and Nissa found some of the only shade available in a very interesting spot.

We showered in these Semi-Truck showers - crazy!

A picture of part of camp. A sea of pink tents.

Sara hung her credentials on her tent with a picture of dear Colleen who passed away last year from Breast Cancer - a reminder of why we did the 3 Day.
The start of day 3. I had planned to bus to lunch because my feet were in such agony, but at the last second I decided to KEEP WALKING. I figured that my feet would hurt whether I walked or not so I walked out of camp. And and I kept walking and walking and walking. Besides a short van ride between a pit stop and lunch, I walked all Sunday. I have no idea how I did it but I think I was more proud of myself than I've ever been in my life. My arches hurt, my blisters were popping in my shoes and I was dripping sweat, but I kept going. The cheerers and my team kept me going.

Closing Ceremonies at the Capital


"We walk because we must. We are strong because the journey demands it. Together in body and united in spirit, we lay down our footsteps for this generation and the next. This is our promise: A world without breast cancer."
_____________________
Thanks to those who came out to cheer me on:
Damon, David Mikko
Mom, Dad
Charles, Bobby, Greta, Keith, Anne
Carol, Mandy, Corey, Leah
Christine, Sophia, Mary
Amy, Amy's Mom, Libby, Shelby
April, Adeline
Erin, Mike and Erin's Mom
Carol S.
Sheryl, Dick
Mike, Win, Viv, Brady, Lucia
Bria, Andrew and the twins
_____________________
Favorite Cheer Stations:

The Judges
2 girls set up a table with a big sign that said "Parade Judges". As you would walk by they would hold up signs like "You are so HOT", "Looking Fabulous", "Nice Legs" etc. It was so funny and so creative.

The motorcyle guys
A motorcycle pack rode around ALL 3 days following us wearing bras on their heads and revving their engines. LOVE THEM.

The "Pit Stop"
Two people held out spray deodorant cans and had you hold your arms up while they sprayed your pits with deodorant. A good laugh and day 3, mile 14

Water and Ice
ANYONE who provided water, ice, freezies or sprayed water. Saviours - especially on Day 3 after walking up the big hill after Highway 61.
_________________
THANK YOU
Thank you for everyone who donated to Susan G Komen 3 day for the cure on my behalf. Each participant was required to raise a minimum of $2300 to participate. I couldn't have done it without your very generous support.
The Twin Cities 3-Day raised 6.2 MILLION dollars this year - so impressive

1 comment:

TheMcLaughlinFamily said...

CONGRATULATIONS Rebecca on your amazing accomplishment! I felt so proud for you and your fellow walkers...what a wonderful event to be a part of!